Doubting Doubt
(Table of Contents - Click This Link)
The Process
Step 6
The Pot and the Kettle
Is there a chance
that we could apply two standards when we read our Bibles? What could possibly cause us to do such a
thing? Well fortunately we are not left
to fend for ourselves to answer that question.
The Bible has already told us.
I
know you are well familiar with the Doctrine of Total Depravity. I am confident that you understand that it
does not mean that man is a completely hideous degenerate. That is not what the Doctrine of Total
Depravity is. Rather, that would be more
correctly defined as “utter depravity.”
The Doctrine of Total Depravity refers to the fact that there is no part
of God’s creation that has not suffered some degree or another of corruption by
sin and that in man it includes every aspect of his being including his
reasoning. I am wondering if that is
what is going on here and that we do not realize that we are employing a
double-standard because we just can’t see it.
Try to imagine a better target for Satan to twist out of whack than a
man’s pride in his own intellectual comprehension.
It’s as if we are saying, “Yes I know about the Doctrine of Total
Depravity and I know that sin has even contaminated to a greater or lesser
degree man’s reason. But it hasn’t
happened to me. There is not a single
millimeter, a single grain, a single dot within my reasoning ability that has
been affected. I am immune. I see every part of God’s revealed Word, even
“the deep things of God” (1 Cor. 2:10) with complete clarity.”
“Well, Monty,” someone will say, “what is this, the pot calling the
kettle black? Do you think you have
risen beyond any such thing yourself and can point at the church and tell us
you are right and we are wrong? Don’t
you think the Doctrine of Total Depravity applies to you? Aren’t you just as vulnerable to its effects
as anyone else?”
Yes! Now we’re getting somewhere!
It
was precisely when I realized that that something far more important became
apparent. There is a far greater Truth
here.
No comments:
Post a Comment