Doubting Doubt
(Table of Contents - Click This Link)
The Process
Step 4 – Part 1
Apostles and Prophets
Ephesians 2:19-20
– 19Consequently, you are no
longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also
members of his household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles
and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. (NIV)
What does the first
part of verse 20 say? Does it say, “… built on the foundation of
the apostles and prophets, for whatever little that’s worth!”
Certainly not. “Other foundation can no man lay than that
which is laid.” (1 Cor. 3:11) How
can I help but be redundant when I say that to understand that our beliefs as
Christians are “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets” is
absolutely foundational.
Now, the main subject of this study is John the Baptist. The Church today teaches universally,
throughout all of Christendom, that John the Baptist, when he was in prison,
doubted Jesus’ true identity. I say, it
doesn’t look that way to me, and I’ve been trying to present fact after fact in
order to support why I feel that way.
Let’s remember some things that we already know about John the Baptist,
primarily, that he was a prophet. John
the Baptist is often called “the last of the Old Testament prophets.”
In
one sense, John the Baptist was an ordinary man, in the sense that there was
nothing divine about him personally. But
in another sense, John the Baptist was not an ordinary man. He was not only a special person, he was an exceptionally
special person. In fact, he was an
exceptionally special person unlike any other mortal man who ever lived. That is not my opinion. That is the way
that the Lord Jesus Himself described John the Baptist:
Verily
I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a
greater than John the Baptist. (Matt. 11:11),
Or
For
I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater
prophet than John the Baptist. (Luke 7:28)
That’s quite a powerful endorsement.
And we are told many things about John the Baptist that would incline us
to suspect that he was aware of the role he was in, for example, in John 1:22,
23 we read –
Finally
they said, “Who are you? Give us an
answer to take back to those who sent us.
What do you say about yourself?
John replied in the words of Isaiah the
prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the
way for the Lord.’”
(NIV)
Look at the boldness of John the Baptist. See his apparent complete lack of concern for
his own welfare. Do you really think
that confidence in Jesus’ identity is going to waver in a person who openly
stirs up scandal about Herod and Herodias? (Luke 3:19)
Now think about John the Baptist when he was in prison. His situation was dire. Herod was already known to be a brutally
savage ruler. John the Baptist had very
good reason to fear for his life.
(What? I suppose John should have
thought of that before he opened his big mouth!) John the Baptist had very good reason to
worry that he might not come out of Herod’s prison alive.
BUT –
He
still had reason to hope that he would come out alive. “Hey, it could happen,” he might have
thought.
Indeed, it very well could have – who knows? I’ll go further than that: It’s perfectly possible that up to the last
few minutes before John the Baptist was beheaded, he might have been thinking,
I know the Lord’s going to bring me
out of all this.”
In
fact, let’s widen the possibilities of what might have been going through
John’s mind as broad as we can, in order to understand why it is that
Christians universally are taught that John the Baptist doubted Jesus’
identity: Let’s say that John reached
the point of total despair, that he had given up all hope of ever getting out
of Herod’s prison alive.
Still, he did not know that for a
fact, did he?
But let’s take this line of thought even further. Even if John the Baptist had been thinking to
himself, “I’m done for! I just know it. I’m a goner!” still, up to the very last 5 or
10 minutes before he was executed, John the Baptist did not know that his death
was going to come soon or many years later.
In other words, even if John the Baptist had lost all hope, he still had
reason for hope.
There’s another side to this, because remember Ephesians 2:20 says
“built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets.” But before I go on, let’s notice that there
is a distinction that should be made.
What distinction? There is a
distinction between the possibility that John the Baptist had lost all hope of
ever getting out of prison alive, and the possibility that he might have
doubted Jesus’ true identity. A person
can reach the deepest depths of despair about his life situation and still not
doubt Jesus’ identity.
Sure, the Bible does give us the account of the prophet Jonah, or even
Balaam, for that matter, who were not people you would call exemplary servants
of God. But even in those instances,
their shortcomings had nothing at all to do with doubts about who God is.
But now let’s compare and contrast John the Baptist – a prophet – and
his prison experience, with Paul – an apostle – and his prison experience.
Like John the Baptist, Paul was an ordinary human being in most
respects. On the other hand, Paul – also
like John the Baptist – was one of a very unique set of people. It’s not that the words prophet and apostle are
interchangeable, but it’s that both prophets and apostles were uniquely used of
God is the point I’m trying to make.
Look at the things Paul had to say to us when he was in prison. We see, in the book of Philemon, that there
were times when Paul had hopes of being released safely (v. 22). Nevertheless, look at Paul’s words in 2
Timothy 4:6, 7. There came a point when
Paul knew his time was coming to an end:
For
I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my
departure is near.
Do
you see any sign that Paul doubted Jesus’ identity, either in 2 Timothy or
anywhere else in Paul’s writings? There
is none.
Now,
give these things a lot of very careful, thoughtful consideration:
We
have John the Baptist on the one hand – with all that he knew about himself and
his role in ushering in the messiah, with his reasons for hope of coming out of
prison unscathed and with the sudden onset of his execution coming on the spur
of the moment, completely unexpectedly.
While Paul, on the other hand – who wrote, “I have worked much harder, been in prison
more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again
and again. Five times I received from
the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three
times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was
shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly
on the move. I have been in danger from
rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from
Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea;
and in danger from false believers. I
have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger
and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked” (2
Cor. 11:23-27). And Paul never once,
throughout all that hardship, never once doubted Jesus’ identity.
And yet the Church teaches universally throughout all of Christendom
that John the Baptist doubted.
There are a whole lot of people who aren’t thinking this through as
thoroughly as they should.
So
the point of this section is this:
It’s OK for churches to teach that John the Baptist, being an ordinary,
fallible human being, could have been capable of having any number of
shortcomings, like anyone else, for even the Bible itself would remind us of
that, as it does in the cases of a number of other personalities:
“Elijah was a
man subject to like passions as we are …” James 5:17
“We too are
only human, like you …” Acts 14:15
Yet that concession must – it must – stop short of making a quick
and easy leap to the conclusion that John the Baptist would allow his own
personal predicament and discomfort to cause him to doubt Jesus’ identity, for
the Bible itself tells us that as well.
It says as much in the passages just cited above, in the passage of
Ephesians 2:20, referenced at the beginning of this section, in the description
of the long list of prophets and others mentioned in Hebrews 11.
And the experience of the countless martyrs down through history should
be sufficient to incline us to think – not that John the Baptist had less
faith than those who had died believing in the Lord Jesus Christ without even
having ever seen Him, but more!
Again, I emphasize that we must take into consideration the fact
that John the Baptist, just as Jesus said, was exceptional among anyone else we
could name. The quick and easy tendency
for people to conclude, “Well, sure – John was despondent in prison and so I
can understand how he would have doubted Jesus’ identity,” is sheer and utter
nonsense!
But really, as I have been saying from the beginning of this study, there
is a far bigger point to be made from this than simply debating whether John
the Baptist did or did not doubt Jesus’ identity.
There are two points, actually.
The first point is rather minor, although it should be made, and it is
this: Whether John the Baptist did or
did not doubt Jesus’ identity is not the main thing. Perhaps he did and perhaps he did not. Obviously, you can tell which way I think the
matter should be decided.
But I’m willing to admit that I might be wrong if someone can show me, with convincing evidence, where I’m wrong. So far, that hasn’t happened. And I’ve been submitting this study to
experts in Christianity, pastors, educators – anyone I can find – and I’ve been
doing it since before 2015, over 5 years ago.
So far, I’ve had only a few responses that were only standard pat
answers that did not address the propositions I raise in this research
project. Those pat answers that were
given to me continue to fail to be credible when I have put them through the
biblical tests as I’ve endeavored to present in this study.
But mostly, my requests for help have been flatly ignored.
But the first point I’m trying to make is this:
Maybe John the Baptist doubted – maybe.
BUT –
There are plenty of good reasons to doubt that he doubted.
Therefore –
Churches should not be teaching that John the Baptist unquestionably and
undeniably did doubt. Instead, at most, they should be
teaching that maybe John the
Baptist doubted, and then go on to investigate the matter further, at least to
the extent that I, a layperson, an amateur researcher, have done.
So, I remain with my original task, namely, to continue to try to
present this study to anyone, however I can, to the best of my ability.
But still, the more important point – the far more important point – is yet to be made. It will be found at the end of this study.
No comments:
Post a Comment